Pages

Monday 10 May 2021

A Sailing Experience - Aleenah

 A Sailing Experience

It was a drafty day which meant it was time to sail. Thanks to the St Johns Rotary & Yachting NZ sponsorship, we got to spend our time having the most fun in and on the water! I really loved it and I'm very grateful to them. I'm just recounting my most favorite moments. 

After they explained all of the safety regulations to us, we were asked to assemble our own boat with barely any help but a display. My and two friends and I did perfectly well! Of course there were some minor mishaps but overall the boat was functional. Not the neatest but functional.

After removing our boats off land, we were all attached in a convoy since we were just starters. After the speed boat towed us around (It felt really fast), we had a little lunch break then sailed on our own since most of us finally got the hang of it. I now know how to use the sail and steer the boat. When steering your boat goes the opposite way whilst the sails just follow the wind. You just have to be able to control it unless you want to reach the middle of the ocean.

I felt that sailing is actually something I could really enjoy doing. It's easy and I was confident as my life jacket was protecting me. 

Of course the day was going all too well until it started raining. We were not too bumped about. but we did have to cut our fun short because it was time to get back to SCHOOL. 

Last year the Year 7 & 8's were unlucky since covid struck and they couldn't go sailing. Now I am most grateful to St. John's Rotary & Yachting NZ for giving my friends and I the opportunity of a lifetime. It has sparked an interest in me and to maybe pursue sailing in the future.


Thank you!



 


      

No comments:

Post a Comment